Sea Kayaking Level II Skills
Deep Bay Kayaking is offering a Sea Kayaking Level 2 Skills Course as a Kayak camping expedition to a wilderness destination. This is a comprehensive 7-day course that provides you with the skills and knowledge necessary to go on a multi-day kayak camping trip with a group of your peers.
The focus of this course is:
- Improving your paddling strokes to make them as efficient as possible.
- Improving your rescues skills and introducing new rescues.
- Introduction to the Greenland paddle
- Improving your directional control strokes so that you will paddle with confidence through narrow rocky channels with waves, currents, or traversing moderate tidal races.
- Introducing you to towing for longer distances (tow belts are required).
- To expose you to risk management.
- Learning how to efficiently pack a kayak for a multi-day camping trip.
- Practising your navigation skills to guide the group to a new campsite using only a Marine Chart of the area and a compass.
- Use VHF radio to report the weather
- Setting up a tarps for your tent and the kitchen area.
- Learning to tie knots that can easily be undone in a hurry that will be used to setup your own tent and tarp.
You will have two Paddle Canada Instructors teaching this course. This course starts every morning at 7:00 am and does not finish until eight o’clock at night, you will be busy that whole time. Our aim is to push you beyond your comfort level in a safe learning environrment.
Cost for this 7-day course is $750. You will be required to bring your own personal camping gear and your own food for breakfast and snacks. For supper you will be required to supply and cook one supper meal including appies and desert for at least seven hungry people. A two burner stove with pots is provided for you to cook on.
We are now taking bookings for next summer. The dates would be mid-July to mid August 2022. The wilderness destination is undecided at this time.but it will be somewhere on the BC Coast. Contact us to book your place for next year. You will not find a more comprehensive wilderness kayak camping course out there.