Sea Kayaking Level II Skills
Deep Bay Kayaking is offering a Sea Kayaking Level 2 Skills Course as a Kayak camping expedition to a wilderness destination. This is a comprehensive 7-day course that provides you with the skills and knowledge necessary to go on a multi-day kayak camping trip with a group of your peers.
The focus of this course is:
- Improving your paddling strokes to make them as efficient as possible.
- Improving your rescues skills, assisted and solo.
- Improving your directional control strokes so that you will paddle with confidence through narrow rocky channels with waves, currents, or traversing moderate tidal races.
- Introducing you to towing for longer distances (tow belts are required).
- Introducing you to rolling
- Introducing you to risk management
- Practicing your navigation skills to guide a group using only a Marine Chart and a compass.
- Practicing using a VHF handheld radio to report the weather
- Practicing setting up a tarps for your tent and the kitchen area.
- Learning to tie knots that can easily be undone in a hurry that will be used to setup your own tent and tarp.
Two Paddle Canada Instructors will be teaching this course. Course instruction starts around 8:00 am each morning and continues until 8:00 pm with a breaks for lunch and supper, you will be busy that whole time. Our aim is to push you beyond your comfort level in a safe learning environment.
Cost for this 7-day course is $750. You will be required to bring your own personal camping gear and your own food for breakfast and snacks. For supper you will be required to supply and cook one supper meal including appies and desert for at least seven hungry people. A two burner stove with pots is provided for you to cook on.
We are now taking bookings for this summer. The dates for this course are July 21 to July 28 2023. This will be a wilderness camping experience in which we circumnavigate Read Island. Contact us to book your place. You will not find a more comprehensive Paddle Canada Sea Kayaking Level 2 Skills course out there.